Don’t burn your carer out!
This is a very important point and is often overlooked, remember it’s not you with the halo over you, it’s your carer.
Your emotional and psychological health is important and can affect your physical health. Be aware of the signs that point to caregiver “burnout.” Watch for:
- Excessive use of alcohol, medications or sleeping pills
- Appetite changes — either eating too much or too little
- Depression — hopelessness, feelings of alienation, lack of energy to do new things
- Thoughts of death
- Losing control physically or emotionally
- Neglecting or treating roughly the person for whom you are caring
- Trouble falling asleep or staying asleep
- Difficulty concentrating, missing appointments
If you show signs of caregiver burnout, get help. Your healthy body, mind and spirit benefit your loved one as much as they benefit you.