The benefits system is both a complex and sometimes an emotional experience for those who have not relied on benefits before. After reading this you may find it easier contacting us and at the bottom of the page you will find a link to contact someone at The Pumping Marvellous Foundation that may be able to point you in the right direction.

You will also be aware that the benefits landscape is changing all the time therefore we will being keeping this page light on information.

There are a range of sickness and disability benefits heart failure patients may be entitled to claim, these are ESA (employment support allowance), DLA (disability living allowance) for under 16’s, PIP (personal  independence payment) for working age adults 16 – 64 year olds and AA (attendance allowance) for over 65’s.

For further information please visit the government website. Click or tap here

When making a claim for any benefit it’s important you give as much detail as possible as to how your ill health/disability impacts your daily life, including the help/support you need to complete basic daily tasks, even if you do not get that help.

You should also provide examples where you can; this should ensure the decision maker gets a clear picture of how your health impacts your daily life.

ESA is a sickness benefit paid to all adults who are unable to work due to short/long term health issues or disability.

ESA is paid at assessment rate of £72 for 14 weeks, sometime after the 14th week you will be sent a health questionnaire, which, will determine if DWP (department of work and pensions) require you to have a face to face functionality assessment or can be assessed from the questionnaire you completed and any documentary evidence you send confirming health issues and daily support needs.

After assessment a ‘Fitness to Work’ report will be sent to DWP decision maker, who will decide which of the two groups to place you. Look to the right for the two groups.

Work related activity group

You will work with a jobcentre advisor or a DWP contracted work provider, with the aim of a return to work in the near future.

Support group

People with more severe, complex health issues and/or a disability will be placed in this group.  You will be left alone to concentrate on your health or you can volunteer to take part in the work related activities with a jobcentre advisor or work provider.

AA is a benefit paid to people over the age of 65 with chronic ill health / disability. AA is paid at two rates, low or high.

For further information please visit the government website. Click or tap here

PIP – personal independence payment

This is a disability benefit for working aged adults 16-65 based on care and support needs.

It is paid in two components care and mobility. The rates of benefit are either standard or enhanced.

For further information please visit the government website. Click or tap here

Disability benefit which has been abolished for working age adults, this group must now claim PIP which is personal independence payment.

DLA Is a disability benefit currently paid to under 16’s and some over 65’s.

DLA is paid in 2 components Care and Mobility; award will be based on how well you fill in the claim form, supporting evidence and a disability assessment by one of the DWP contractors.

For further information please visit the government website. Please click or tap here