What is advocacy
Advocacy in heart failure seeks to ensure that people, particularly those who are most vulnerable, can:
- Has their voice heard on issues that are important to them?
- Defend their rights.
- Have their views and wishes genuinely considered when decisions are about them.
Advocacy is a process of supporting and enabling people to:
- Create and express their views and concerns.
- Access information and services that are pertinent to them
- Be a voice around their rights.
- Explore choices and options
The Pumping Marvellous Foundation is an advocate for heart failure sufferers and their families. We provide heart failure advocacy support for heart failure patients and their families when they need it. We might help you access information you need or in a supportive role, talk through options with you and your family. You may want us to advocate for you where we speak for you in situations where you don’t feel able to speak for yourself.
Our advocates are our patient educators; they will spend time with you to understand your needs. Advocacy can be helpful if you find it challenging to make your views known.
Other forms of advocacy we get involved in include political, economic and institutional, and these are below.
Advocacy doesn’t just work at a national level and proves to be a handy persuasive tool not only at a regional level but also at a local like with CCG’s, GP surgeries or acute trusts.